- were offered on 3.3., 12.3., 9.4. and 21.5., in German or English.
For a list of future dates and to schedule your oral
exam, please see here.
- This syllabus is online at
The exercise sheets
are available at
- Course work:
- weekly homework assignments,
one written test
- Test on 15 December
- 60 minutes (14:30-15:30);
open book (you may use books and notes);
- Boothby, An Introduction to Differentiable Manifolds and Riemannian Geometry, 2nd Ed, Academic Press
Warner, Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups, GTM 94, Springer
Morgan, Riemannian Geometry: A
Beginner's Guide, 2nd Ed, A K Peters
Bishop and Goldberg, Tensor Analysis on Manifolds, Dover
Milnor, Topology from the Differentiable Viewpoint, U P Virginia
Spivak, Calculus on Manifolds, Benjamin/Cummings
Sharpe, Differential Geometry, GTM 166, Springer
- This is a first course in manifolds and global analysis, which will
present the basic tools for those interested in, or curious about,
differential geometry or global analysis, or those who want to apply
differentiial geometric methods in other areas such as PDE, topology,
mathematical physics, and dynamical systems.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Differentiable manifolds, implicit function
theorem, rank theorem, tangent spaces, tangent bundles, vector bundles.
- Calculus on manifolds:
- Vector fields, flows, Lie bracket,
Lie derivatives, Frobenius theorem.
- Differential forms:
- Differential forms, exterior calculus,
orientability, Poincaré lemma, deRham complex.
- Integration theory:
- Stokes' theorem.
- Riemannian geometry:
- Riemannian metrics, distance, first
variation and geodesics, Riemannian connection, curvature, connections
on vector bundles.