Dr. Timo de Wolff
Institut für Mathematik
der Technischen Universität Berlin
Sekr. MA 6-2
Straße des 17. Juni 136
Office: MA 604
Secretariat: MA 6-2
Phone Secretariat: +49-(0)30-314-28643
I am the head of the Emmy Noether Junior Research Group on "New Certificates of Nonnegativity and Their Application in Science and
Engineering" at the Technical University Berlin.
Before, I held positions at the Texas A&M University, the Saarland University, and the Goethe University.
Here you can find my CV.
Office hours: by appointment since I am not teaching at the moment; please send me an email.
- Spring, 2018: "Tropical Geometry, Amoebas, and Polytopes", Semester Programm at the Institut Mittag-Leffler in Djursholm, Sweden.
- May 14, 2018: "Séminaire Parisien d'Optimisation" Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris, France.
- July 2-6, 2018: "ISMP 2018" in Bordeaux, France.
- July 9-13, 2018: "2018 SIAM Annual Meeting" in Portland, OR, USA.
- Oct 15-19, 2018: Workshop on "Real Algebraic Geometry and Optimization" at the ICERM, Brown University, RI, USA.
- Dec. 12-14, 2018: Workshop on "Applied Algebraic Geometry" in Bristol, UK.
- 04/09/2018: Version 0.1.1.0(a) of our software for the computation of SONC nonnegativity certificates is now online.
- 02/28/2018: Mareike Dressler, Adam Kurpisz, and I have finished our new article "Optimization over the Boolean Hypercube via SONCs".
- 02/12/2018: The first prototype of our software for the computation of SONC nonnegativity certificates went online today. This is joint work with my PhD-student Henning Seidler. The development will go on and new features will be added soon.
- 01/31/2018: Anne Shiu and I have finished our new article "Nondegenerate Multistationarity in Small Reaction Networks".
- 11/09/2017: Jens Forsgård and I have finished our new article "The Lattice of Amoebas".
- 09/01/2017: My article "Lopsided Approximation of Amoebas" (with J. Forsgård, L. Matusevich, and N. Mehlhop) was accepted for publication in Mathematics of Computation.
- 05/24/2017: My article "A Positivstellensatz for Sums of Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials" (with M. Dressler, S. Iliman) was accepted for publication in the SIAM Journal on Applied Algebra and Geometry.
- 04/10/2017: My article "Amoebas and their Tropicalizations - a Survey" was accepted for the Memorial Volume of Trends in Mathematics for Mikael Passare. Mikael was an oustanding mathematician and an outstanding person. He was always very kind to me and gave me several helpful suggestions when I was a PhD-student. Mikael passed away unexpectedly at the age of 52 during a hiking tour in Oman in 2011.
- 04/03/2017: Version 0.1.0.1(a) of our software package "Maximal_Mediated_Sets.sage" is online.
- 02/15/2017: Both my articles "A Positivstellensatz for Sums of Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials" (with M. Dressler, S. Iliman) and "Imaginary Projections of Polynomials" (with T. Jörgens, T. Theobald) have been accepted for a talk at MEGA 2017.
- 01/11/2017: The Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Foundation) accepted me into the Emmy Noether Programme. The DFG will fund a Junior Research Group under my direction at the Technical University Berlin starting in July 2017.
- 10/01/2016: My undergraduate research student Jacob Hartzer and I have completed the first alpha version of our software package "Maximal_Mediated_Sets.sage".
- 09/01/2016: Jens Forsgård, Laura Matusevich, Nathan Mehlhop (who worked as an undergrad research student with Laura and me), and I have finished our new article "Lopsided Approximation of Amoebas". I have also written a corresponding software "Lopsided_Amoeba_Approximation".
- 07/20/2016: Mareike Dressler, Sadik Iliman, and I finished our article "A Positivstellensatz for Sums of Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials".
- 02/21/2016: Mareike Dressler, Sadik Iliman, and I finished our article "An Approach to Constrained Polynomial Optimization via Nonnegative Circuit Polynomials and Geometric Programming".
- 02/11/2016: My article "Intersections of Amoebas" (joint with Martina Juhnke-Kubitzke) has been accepted for a poster presentation on FPSAC '16.
- 02/08/2016: This is a really nice day. Thorsten Jörgens, Thorsten Theobald, and I finished our article "Imaginary Projections of Polynomials". Also, my article "Lower Bounds for Polynomials with Simplex Newton Polytopes Based on Geometric Programming" (joint with Sadik Iliman) has been accepted by the SIAM Journal on Optimization today.
- 10/28/2015: After three years of work (with some breaks in between) Martina Juhnke-Kubitzke and I finally finished our article Intersections of Amoebas.
- 10/22/2015: My article "Norms of Roots of Trinomials" (joint with Thorsten Theobald) has been accepted by Mathematische Annalen. Recently, my article "Amoebas, Nonnegative Polynomials and Sums of Squares Supported on Circuits", (joint with Sadik Iliman) has been accepted by Research in the Mathematical Sciences.
- 09/23/2015: The first alpha version of our software "
Viro.sage" for using Viro Patchworking in
SAGE went online today. This is joint work with Chris O'Neill and Emma Owusu Kwaakwah. The development will go on and new features will be added soon.
Last Update: April 09, 2018